Gleanings from "The Kinmundy Express"


"The Kinmundy Express"; Kinmundy, Illinois

Published every Thursday; $1 per year in advance; Phone No. 25   

 Compiled by Dolores Ford Mobley

 Questions, comments, suggestions should be directed to the e-mail address below.    Permission to copy,  is requested.

>>To search for a specific name, use your browser's find feature. (usually a Ctrl-F) <<

Please note!!! The articles on this web site for the years 1904 thru mid 1914 are not currently available on microfilm at the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library - Newspaper Microfilm Depository in Springfield, Illinois.  News reports were copied in their complete form from the original newspaper copies. 

(Jan - Aug 4, 1904 papers missing - the big downtown Kinmundy fire occurred that year)

Aug. 11, 1904:

- FENSTER-WOOLLEY: Mr. Roy FENSTER and Miss Hattie WOOLLEY were married in Salem at the home of the bride’s father, S.R. WOOLLEY, Sunday evening at five o’clock, the Rev. Dr. PEAK officiating. The wedding was very quiet there being no invited guests. After the ceremony, supper was served. The happy couple returned to this city Monday, and expect to make their home here and will go to housekeeping just as soon as they can procure a house. Their many friends are glad to know they expect to remain in our city and all join in wishing them a happy voyage thru life.

- Wrist Broken: This afternoon as Mrs. S.B. BASCOM and daughter, Miss Carrie, residing six miles south of this city, were driving to Pleasant Grove to attend the S.S. convention, and their team run away and threw the occupants from the buggy. Mrs. BASCOM escaped with only a few bruises, but Miss B. received a broken wrist and was otherwise bruised. She was brought to town and the fracture reduced by Dr. CAMERER.

- Born to Alonzo HAMMERS and wife on July 22d, a fine nine pound daughter.

- Peter BEEFER, a resident of this county, died at his home July 21st after a brief illness, aged 67 years. He leaves a wife and three daughters to mourn their loss. The bereaved ones have the sympathy of the entire community. The remains were laid to rest in the Kinmundy cemetery.

- F.D. BEAVER and wife of Buffalo, N.Y. arrived in this city Saturday evening to visit his parents, D.C. BEAVER and family. Fred is on the sick list and returned here to receive treatment of Dr. FORSHEE.

- Theo. GARRETT and two sons spent part of this week in St. Louis attending the big fair.

- H.A. FARTHING, wife and little daughter of Moran, Kansas are visiting near this city with her parents, Jas. COCKRELL and family. They were accompanied by Miss Gertrude ERWIN of Burden, Kansas, who is visiting friends and relatives in and near this city.

- Wm. WEST of Topeka, Kansas, who has been visiting in this city with his brother, C.H. WEST and family, left Tuesday morning for St. Louis to attend the fair a few days before returning to his home.

- Meacham Monitorings (written for last week): Dan MANGNER and wife are rejoicing over the arrival of a baby girl.

- Advertisement: The Elite perfect fitting garments for all ages. I am still in business with a new stock of goods. You will find me in the old Haymond Bank Building with a complete line of clothing, shoes, hates, caps, gents furnishings, and groceries - everything clean and up-to-date. All marked in plain figures and prices alike to all. Just received a fine line of trousers and have the most complete line of ties and shirts in town. Come and see me. S.L. BUNDY.

Aug. 18, 1904:

- John W. ATKINS: Passed away Aug. 13, 1904, after a lingering illness of several months. He was born April 25, 1849. He suffered much during his affliction; medical aid often brought to this suffering one relief but it was for only a short time. A devoted wife was constant in her administrating of love, endeavoring to do everything to alleviate suffering and if possible, to restore the loved one to health again. But alas! All could not avail. He was married to the bereaved wife in 1883. He has crossed the mystic river, leaving a wife, an aged mother, two brothers and three sisters, whose lives have been made and by this dispensation. He had a large circle of friends and acquaintances, who loved him for his genial disposition as was evinced by the large gathering who come to take the last look. He united with the M.E. church South as a seeker some years ago, and gladly contributed of his early means to the church. It was only a few days before his death that he said to his wife "give the preacher some money". His body was brought from his late residence on Sunday to Sandy Branch and after religious services were conducted and the many friends had taken the last look, he was tenderly laid in the grave.

- COCKRELL-FISHER: Mr. Chas. COCKRELL of Knoxville, Tenn., and Miss Amy FISHER of this township, were married last evening at 7:30 o’clock at the home of the bride’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. D.E. FISHER, three miles west of this city, the Rev. J.H. BALLANCE officiating. Mr. and Mrs. COCKRELL will spend a few days here and then go to St. Louis and attend the fair before going to their home in Knoxville. Their many friends here extend congratulations.

- Word has been received here announcing the arrival of a new babe at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Edwin WORMLEY at Savoy, Ill.

- Meacham Mentionings: Jasper JONES and wife are rejoicing over the arrival of a daughter at their home.

- L.C. PULLEN of Alma is erecting a fine new residence in that city. It will have steam heat and will be up to date in every particular. He expects to remove from his farm to that city to reside.

- Frank EMBSER, an aged farmer residing six miles south of town, was severely injured last Thursday morning by a horse. He was walking behind the animal and was kicked on the hip and since that time he has had no use of the limb and is confined to his bed. Mr. EMBSER is an old man and is a great sufferer of rheumatism and it makes his affliction much more painful.

- Harry CRAIG has returned home from Charleston after attending school several months. He has been employed to teach at Shanghai the coming winter.

- Capt. ROHRBOUGH has moved the Building and Loan office into the new quarters in the rear of the National Bank. He has a nice room for his office and will be better prepared to serve the patrons.

- N.H. LINGENFELTER and family left Tuesday morning for their home in Oklahoma City, after spending a month in this city with her parents, G. FENSTER and wife.

- Miss Maud WEST left Sunday morning for Manhattan, Kansas to spend a month with the family of her uncle, Wm. WEST. She will also visit relatives in Topeka before returning home.

- Miss Reba STEUBER returned home from Charleston, Ill. recently where she had been attending the State Normal School. Mr. SNAPP who also attended school at that place, reports that she did very satisfactory work while there.

- Miss Nettie WALKER of Pendleton, Ind. arrived here Monday to visit her uncle, John MILLER and family. Miss WALKER and Miss Bertha MILLER went to St. Louis this morning to spend a few days at the fair.

Aug. 25, 1904:

- A Family Reunion: A reunion of the PARRILL descendants was held at the home of Mrs. T.J. PARRILL in Meacham twp. yesterday afternoon and a large crowd was in attendance. The relatives present from a distance were: Clark CRANDALL and family of Milton, Wis.; Miss Zoa Lee MORRIS of Edina, Mo.; Mrs. Geo. W. McCLURE and three children of Jackson, Miss.; William SMITH and son, Alfred of Ohio; Misses Ella and Clara PARRILL of Chicago. The afternoon was pleasantly spent by all present and at a late hour the crowd separated feeling that each had been greatly benefitted by the gathering. Such occasions are always enjoyed and should be held annually.

- A new girl has arrived at the home of C.A. TREVILLION, the C. & E.I. agent.

- Homer NEWMAN: The most horrifying calamity that has ever befallen this community was the sad news of the accidental killing of Homer NEWMAN, near Lost Cabin, Wyo., July 7; he was to have started for home the next day. The mountain was too wild a place for so pure a boy to live, so he was coming home to help his aged parents with the work on the farm. "Homer has gone," without warning came the brief but awful words. So crushing was the blow, so suddenly had it fallen that his friends could scarcely realize that the earthly life scarcely realize that the early life of this promising young man was ended. He was a model young man, whose life was worthy of imitation. He was loved by all who knew him; he was kind to all his associates and was a loving and obedient son, a kind and affectionate brother. James Homer NEWMAN, son of M.J. and N.S. NEWMAN was born Dec. 3, 1884 in Mead county, Kan., and moved with his parents to Marion county, Ill., at the age of four years and lived near Patoka until he was 16. From there he moved to Shawnee, Okla. He was converted at the age of 16 and lived a consistent Christian life. We can see him in his youthful pride but a few short months ago a bright and happy boy, who little dreamed of woe. The smile that played upon his lips and lighted up his eye, betokened all that heart could wish of youthful buoyancy and little we thought in this hour of gladness how soon that cherished one would pass away from earth. Now heaven is dearer since Homer is there with his brother who had gone on before. So let us live that death we will not fear, and then we will meet them in that glory land where there will be no more trouble or sorrow. A Friend. (The above was a nephew of W.T. JONES of North Fork.)

- Dolph SCULLEY came out from St. Louis Saturday to visit in Meacham twp. with his grandfather, Thos. POTTER and family.

- Mrs. Josie LITTLE and daughter of Carbondale, visited in this city last Thursday with her mother, Mrs. Harriet HAWORTH.

Sept. 1, 1904:

- Wedding Bells: Last Monday evening, Mr. Rollin WILSON and Mrs. Mamie BLACKBURN both of this city were married by Esquire A.B. STOKLEY. The newly wedded couple will make their home in this city.

- Wednesday evening at 6:30 at the home of W.H. MAXEY and wife three miles south of this city, occurred a very pretty home wedding, the contracting parties being their daughter, Miss Bessie, and Mr. Preston THOMPSON, of Findlay, Ill., the Rev. J.H. BALLANCE officiating. Just a few of the immediate relatives were in attendance. The happy couple departed for their home near Findlay this morning where the groom owns a fine farm, and where they will make their home.

- Family Reunion: The eight children and nine grandchildren of D.C. BEAVER and wife gathered at the parental home Sunday Aug. 21st and held a reunion the first in many years. There was present: Mrs. A.F. MEEKS and children of Urbana; Frank W. BEAVER and family; James YATES and wife (nee Allie BEAVER), and Chas. D. BEAVER, all of Chicago; Fred B. BEAVER and wife of Buffalo, N.Y.; W.H. MEEKS and family and Misses Lydia and Nellie BEAVER of this city. A very pleasant day was enjoyed after a separation of more than a dozen years. On Monday evening goodbyes were said and the children departed for their respective homes carrying with them the good wishes and prayer of their parents.

- The infant daughter of Andy EAGAN and wife died Tuesday morning. A short funeral services was held at the residence conducted by Rev. J.H. BALLANCE.

Sept. 8, 1904:

- Dad’s Tavern Burned: About 10:30 this morning, fire was discovered in the old Squiers House, occupied by Dad’s Tavern, and operated by S.B. SARCHET. A large crowd soon gathered and fought the flames bravely, but in spite of all that could be done, the hotel burned with all the contents on the upper floor. Most of the effects in the lower story were carried out and saved. The fire is supposed to have originated from a defective flue and the flames were well spread before the fire was discovered. The building was owned by HOLT & DEW and was valued at about $3000 and was insured for $800. Mr. SARCHET carried $400 insurance on the contents. The cottage on the east of the hotel was occupied by G.W. LAMONT and the greater portion of his household goods were saved. This building was owned by C.H. WEST and was insured for $500, and from the appearance it will take that amount to repair it. The residence of David WICKHAM on the west of the hotel was somewhat damaged but was saved by heroic work. Just two months ago today, Kinmundy had a $25,000 fire and nine months ago, a $100,000 fire and yet have no protection against fire. Citizens, what will it take to around you?

- Boy Kills Cousin in a Fight: William JACKSON, 13 years old of Iuka, has been arrests on the charge of killing Edward PATTERSON, 16 years old. The boys were cousins. In the fight following a quarrel, JACKSON plunged his knife into the right lung of the older boy. The ____ distant, where he soon died.

- Foot Crushed: John GREEN, a young farmer residing a mile north of Farina, and with a bad accident Monday evening while pressing hay. Mr. GREEN was feeding the press and in some way got his foot in the machine and it was crushed so badly that amputation was necessary. Doctors AKESTER and HOLSON were called and upon their arrival, it was decided that it would be impossible to save the foot. Mr. GREEN was not satisfied with their decision and Dr. A.C. DAVIS, Jr., was called and his decision was in accord with the first two named doctors.

- Will Buy Engine: The recent big fires in Kinmundy have aroused the people to believe it necessary to have some sort of fire protection. A few days ago, a paper was circulated among our citizens for the purpose of buying a hand and chemical engine at a cost of $1000 and the amount has been cheerfully subscribed and an engine will be purchased within the next few days. As a rule our people subscribed very liberally and it is hoped they will never have cause to regret it. We are informed that the rate of insurance will be lowered an in this event the money saved on insurance, will be better prepared to fight it than we have been in the past. The following is a list of subscribers on the engine and the amount given by each: W.H. GRAY-$50; L.C. MATTHEWS - $50; W.W. NEIL-$25; C.B. ROHRBOUGH-$25; Geo. FENSTER-$25; A.W. SONGER-$30; M.A. SONGER-$20; F.A. PRUETT and Son-$15; J.H. NELMS-$10; G.W. ELDER-$25; The Haymond State Bank-$25; T.W. HAYMOND-$25; John MOTCH-$5; C.W. MAUS-$5; S.J. ALLEN-$5; C.B. FRENCH-$5; Justus FRENCH-$5; Jno. W. ALLEN-$5; J.W. FINN-$5; Howard GARRISON- $5; C.H. WEST-$25; Kinmundy Coal Company-$25; W.W. LOWE-$25; F.J. NIRIDER-$25; M.P. GRAMLEY-$25; Hugo MILLER-$25; J.D. CAMERER-$25; Geo. P. TOMLINSON-$5; C. ROHRBOUGH-$25; TOMLINSON & WOLFE-$10; E.C. BARGH-$20; Del EAGAN-$10; A.V. SCHERMERHORN-$15; F.E. NELMS-$15; O.N. TYNER-$10; J.P. WHITSON-$5; F.O. GRISSOM-$5; I.F. SUGG-$5; W.B. ROSS-$5; T.M. SMITH-$10; J.F. DONOVAN-$15; R.W. WITWER-$5; Dora BRENNER-$10; J.T. ARNOLD-$5; Leslie ALLEN-$5; Fannie SIMPSON-$5; Earl C. HUGGINS, Guardian-$20; F.W. KILLIE-$10; Ed HALEY-$10; J.F. HOWELL-$10; Mrs. C.J. RYAN-$5; O.J. PULLIAM-$15; J.W. HAWORTH-$5; W.H. SHRIVER-$5; SULLENS Bros.-$5; Jacob NELSON-$10; A.M. YOUNG-$5; J.E. LASATER-$10; S.B. SARCHET-$5; O.L. EIKENBERRY-$5; Ellis WOLFE-$5; J.W. SANDERS-$5; S.L. BUNDY-$10; R.P. McBRYDE-$15; W.H. ALLEN-$5; J.M. ROTAN & Son-$15; G.L. EAGAN-$5; Fay STOKLEY-$5; WILSON & DAVIS-$15; J.L. LASWELL-$5; Lyman COX-$18; Mrs. MILLICAN-$5; Chas. E. HULL-$25; W.H. WHITE-$5; W.C. INGRAM-$5; Martin ALLEN-$2; John S. READNOUR-$5; WOOLLEY & RICE-$10.

- The Labor Day celebration in this city Monday was a success in every particular and the program was given as advertised. The Odin band and the Kinmundy High School Quartet furnished music for the occasion and their selections were very pleasing to everybody, Hon. Edward GREEN, of Chicago, and Rev. W.H. BOLES of Alma, were the principal speakers and each made a fine address. The mule race, the sack race, the greased pig, and other things of amusement kept the crowd in a jolly mood in the afternoon. At night a band concert was given at the park and a public ball at the K. of P. Hall. The celebration this year was one of the best ever held in this city and everything passed off very nicely.

- Meacham Mentions: Quite a number of relatives gathered at the residence of Geo. HARKEY, near Farina on Wednesday evening, Aug. 31st to be present at the marriage of his daughter Etta to Fred LACKEY, which occurred at 7:30, the ceremony being performed by Rev. J.D. HENRY of Flora. Dainty refreshments were served and many beautiful presents given the bride and groom. They left Friday morning for their new home in Decatur where the groom has a lucrative position. One of the special features relating to the above affair was a charivari given them Thursday night at the home of John LACKEY, in which about 40 of their friends and neighbors participated. It was thoroughly enjoyed by all present and light refreshments were served to the merry crowd.

- Capt. ROHRBOUGH, Wm. MORRIS, and J.W. LACKEY went to Sullivan ________ morning to attend the dedication of the new Masonic home.

- Albert EAGAN of North Fork, and Miss Barbara PARKER residing south of Salem, were married yesterday evening by Rev. J.H. BALLANCE.

- Massie ARNOLD of Shawnee, Okla., is visiting relatives in this vicinity. He was formerly station agent at Shobonier and is well known by all.

- Isaac EAGAN of Kansas, Alonzo EAGAN of Chicago, and A.G. EAGAN of Centralia were in this city yesterday visiting their brother, G.L. EAGAN and family.

- J.T. KENNEDY, son and daughter of Girard, Kansas, are visiting south of town with his brother, L.N. KENNEDY.

- Will ANDERSON came down from Chicago Sunday morning to spend a few days in this city with his mother, Mrs. B. ANDERSON.

- Mrs. Henry HOLLISTER and son of Tuscola, arrived in this city Monday evening to visit her parents, Jas. RICHARDSON and wife.

Sept. 15, 1904:

- ALLEN-WILLIAMS: Mr. John W. ALLEN and Miss Mattie WILLIAMS, both of this city were united in marriage last evening at 6 o’clock at the home of the bride’s sister, Mr. and Mrs. J.C. HAWORTH, Rev. G.W. SCAWTHON officiating. The wedding was very quiet only U.S. ALLEN and Miss Grace WILLIAMS being invited. After the ceremony an elegant spread was enjoyed. This evening at 6 o’clock an infair dinner will be given at the home of G.W. WHITE and wife to the immediate relatives. Mr. and Mrs. ALLEN will make their home in this city and occupy the S.J. ALLEN relatives. The Express joins their many friends in extending congratulations.

- Advertisement: First Time Here of the World’s Grandest and Best. Walter L. Main World’s Exposition, 3 Ring Circus, Greatest Menagerie & Roman Hippodromes. Kinmundy, Wednesday, Sept. 21st.

- Advertisement: Plain Facts! We wish to inform the public that we have purchased the J.W. TULL Hardware Stock and we are now able to show you a complete line of Builders Hardware, Barbwire, Nails, Axes, Hatchets, Hand, Cross-out and Buck saws, ShotGuns and Ammunition, Rope, in fact anything found in a first class Hardware store. Stoves! Stoves! Stoves! All sizes and prices. Come in and be convinced that our prices are right. Yours for fair dealings. TOMLINSON & WOLFE.

- Advertisement: The Star Grocery is the best place in Kinmundy to do your marketing. A fresh stock always on hand. Come in and see our beautiful line of 98 cents pictures. They were admired by everybody. We want a share of your trade. O.J. PULLIAM.

- Sid BASSETT and wife of Gainesville, Texas, are visiting in this city with A.J. FOSTER and family and other relatives.

- Van LOVELL of Chicago is visiting in this city with his mother, Mrs. M.J. LOVELL.

- Mrs. McCAREY, Richview, is visiting near this city with her sister, Mrs. W.T. WILKINSON.

- Miss Winifred FOUTZ of Olney arrived in this city Tuesday evening to visit her aunt, Mrs. W.H. GRAY.

- Fire Engine Purchased: The fire engine committee met Monday night and closed a deal with the Howe Engine Co., for an engine, hose cart, 500 feet of hose, 45 feet of suction hose, 50 feet of rope and hook, ladders, hooks, axes, etc., at a cost of $1000, the cash to be paid when the engine is shipped here and throughly tested. This is an investment that everybody is interested in and when the test is made, all should be present to see it. All parties who subscribed for the purchase of the engine are requested to call a t the Haymond State Bank on or before the 17th inst. and pay their subscription to W.H. GRAY. This money will be held until the engine is here and tested to the satisfaction of the committee. It has been hard work on the part of the committee to raise the necessary amount and all who subscribed should meet their obligation at once and thus avoid the committee any more necessary trouble. Everybody knows that the engine is all right as Mr. HOWE had one here a few weeks ago and the test given was satisfactory to everybody. The engine purchased by our people is expected to arrive the first of next week and when it is tested, the money must be paid. Don’t neglect to pay your subscription by Saturday.

Sept. 22, 1904:

- Arrested for Abduction: Joseph S. WILLIAMS, aged 49, of Edgewood, was arrested at Arcola Saturday on the charge of abducting Hettie C. SMITH, aged 16, also of Edgewood. WILLIAMS was brought to Effingham Monday by Sheriff RICKELAM and bound over to the circuit court on a $700 bond. The girl was detained at Mattoon by the policeman, upon telephone advise from her father. When closely questioned she admitted that it was her intention to elope with WILLIAMS. WILLIAMS is a married man with six children and in business at Edgewood. This is the second time the couple has attempted to elope. S.L. SMITH is the father of the girl. WILLIAMS and his friends claim there is nothing in the charge but that it is a plot against him. - Effingham Republican.

- Mrs. Emeline BOGERT of Cincinnati, mother of Mrs. E.G. MENDENHALL, died last Saturday at 3:15 a.m., aged 77 years, and was buried Tuesday in the Cincinnati Spring Grove Cemetery.

- Loama, infant daughter of Geo. HEADLEY and wife, died Sunday morning and was buried Monday at the Martin cemetery.

- A fine girl babe arrived at the home of H.L. HANNA and wife Monday morning.

- Mrs. J. SHEPARD left yesterday for Cabool, Mo., to visit her sister, Christina MILLER and attend the wedding of her niece, Miss Ada MILLER.

- On last Friday morning, Mrs. E.C. BARGH received word that Mrs. D.F. McKITRICK had died suddenly at her home in Shawneetown, Ill. on Sept. 8th, and was buried at Jeffersonville, Ill., on Sept. 10th. This will be a great shock to her many friends in this city. She was a most excellent woman, active in church and League work. Mr. McKITRICK was superintendent of our public schools for two years and has the sympathy of all in his great sorrow.

- Meacham Mentions: Most of the schools in this township have begun. Some of them are: Switzer, Claud WILKINSON; Booker, Mrs. Napoleon POTTER; Lacey, Jos. HILL; Maple Hill, Miss Mary SHEPARD; Young, Miss LONGNECKER; Prairie Grove, Miss ROCHAT.

- From Farina: N.L. GANT has a neat porch put around his residence.

Sept. 29, 1904:

- William L. HUBBARD: Was born in Farmersville, N.Y. on March 20, 1824. In his youth he attended the country school at Farmersville and later attended the State Normal Institute at Albany, where he graduated about the year 1842. He lived in Farmersville until 1858 when he moved to Kinmundy. In the fall of 1858 he began teaching in the little school house which was then located in the southwest part of the village of Kinmundy, he being the first teacher. During the winter of 1858-9, he completed his law studies and was admitted to the bar in 1859 at Mt. Vernon, Ill., and entered the practice of his profession in Kinmundy, and held several township offices. At the first election under the incorporation of the city, he was honored by the people as the first mayor of the city of Kinmundy. About the year 1875 he was elected by the people of this district as a member of the state legislature, which office he filled with honor, credit to himself and the people of this district. He moved to Chicago in 1879 and in the following year his wife and son followed him. He was for several years on the board of trade and in the mining business. He was a man of robust health until about June 17, 1904, when he was stricken with disease that developed and he sunk quietly to sleep on the 2d day of July, aged 80 years 3 months and 10 days. He was married to Miss Augusta PEARSON in Mt. Gilead, Ohio, Jan. 1, 1857. They were blessed with three children, Frank, who was born in Kinmundy in 1858 and died in 1862, Charles who was born in 1862 and died as a babe, and Will R. HUBBARD who was born in Farmersville, N.Y. in 1867, leaving his beloved widow and son. Judge HUBBARD as he was most familiarly known by our people was a good man of exceptional ability, very genial in his nature of strong convictions on all questions, but very considerate of the feelings and opinions of those who might differ with him. His home life was beautiful and all his relations were fraternal. "His life was gentle and the elements so mixed in him, that nature might stand up and say to all the world, ‘This is the Man’." Many friends of the family called on Sunday at 10 a.m. to greet the mother and son after an absence of a score of years, and to pay a tribute of friendship and respect to the deceased. Appropriate song service followed by an invocation and further remarks by G.W. RUTHERFORD, and a brief memorial sketch by J.F. DONOVAN who paid a touching tribute to the Judge as husband, father, companion and friend; an eulogy from the heart of one who knew the man. A number of friends accompanied the family to the cemetery where the farewells were spoken and beautiful flowers laid on the grave.

- Obituary: Hanna COLE was born Jan. 30, 1845, was united in marriage with David HEADLY in March 1866. This union was blessed with 8 children, 4 boys and 4 girls, 2 of who have preceded their mother to the spirit world. She was happily converted during a gracious revival at North Fork, conducted by Herbert REED in 1866 and with her husband united with the M.E. church South. She was ever faithful to her church, living a consistent life until death. She was confined to her bed about six weeks and at times was an intense sufferer. She was a companion indeed and no one can measure the grief of him who was her devoted husband. She was a loving mother, caring for and administering to the wants of her precious children. But those hands often so busy in their administrations of love are now folded on her breast. In her prayers she asked to be restored to health again if it was God’s will, but if not to take her to Himself in that beautiful home on high. Only a few hours before her death she lifted her voice in prayer to God and praise to His name for his goodness to her and the constant devotion of a husband and loving children and kind neighbors. She peacefully passed to her reward Sunday night, Sept. 25, 1904, leaving to mourn their loss a husband, two sons, four daughters, one brother and one sister. After religious services at Sandy Branch on Monday, her body was tenderly laid to rest. We miss thee from our home dear mother; We miss thee from thy place; A shadow o’er our life is cast; We miss the sunshine of they face.

- Sad News: Last Sunday morning, a telegram was received here announcing the death of Mrs. V.D. LINGENFELTER at the home of her daughter, Mrs. W.A. BEACH, at Gonzalis, Texas, where she was taken a few weeks ago in hopes of improving her ill health. For several weeks before she left here, she was in a critical condition and it was hoped by all that the changed of climate would help her. Mr. LINGENFELTER was at the home of his daughter, Mrs. B.S. ORGAN, in Fairfield, Ill., and was unable to attend the funeral owing to his ill health. These two aged people have resided in our city several years and each bears the respect and esteem of both old and young. The husband and children have the sympathy of all in their sad hour.

- Fire Company Organized: Our new Howe fire engine arrived in this city last Tuesday evening and since that time it has been tested several times. The stockholders of the engine met last night and organized a fire company by electing the following officers: Chief - N.A. RICE; Ass’t Chief - Ellis WOLFE; 2d Ass’t Chief - L.M. ROTAN; Hose Foreman - C.F. PRUETT; Ladder Foreman - F.E. NELMS; Engine Foreman - Ed HALEY. The officers elected will be allowed to select their own company and the company will be drilled and in case of fire will know just what to do. The matter of building a place to put the engine was discussed and it was thought best to build a brick engine house on the land owned by the city, which is known as the public square. It is estimated that the cost of a suitable brick building we be $300, the floor to be made of concrete. The place is as near centrally located as any place in town and the water conveniences are good at this place in case of a fire in the business portion. When a run has to be made with the engine this place will be a good starting point. If this place is selected and the building proposed erected, it will be necessary to raise more money, but all want to see the engine has a good home and will donate liberally.

- The infant of Mr. and Mrs. Wm. WANTLAND, residing west of town, died Tuesday and was buried yesterday, the funeral services being conducted by Rev. J.H. BALLANCE.

- Joseph ARMSTRONG, a farmer residing west of this city, who was taken to the asylum at Anna a few weeks ago, was brought home Monday evening and taken to the home of his sister, Mrs. John HEISTAND, six miles south of town. Mr. ARMSTRONG has suffered five strokes of paralysis and is in a very critical condition.

Oct. 6, 1904:

- Week of Accidents: The past few days have brought several accidents, and a portion of them have been quite serious, and we hope none will result fatally.

- Last Friday evening, Henry WARREN, a farmer residing 3 miles north of this city, drove to Farina, and while there his team took fright and started to run. One of the horses began kicking and Mr. WARREN jumped from his buggy to avoid being hurt till he had gotten up, then he discovered that his right limb was broken just above the ankle and the bone had been forced through the flesh. He was immediately taken to the hotel where he was given medical attention and the next day he was taken to the home of his son, Harry, one mile east of Farina, where he is reported to be getting along nicely. Mr. WARREN always drives fine horses and his sorrel team has caused him considerable trouble before, but their driving qualities makes it hard to part with them.

- Last Sunday about dusk, Mrs. Elias NEIL met with a painful and probably fatal accident. She shares her home with her son, Chas., in the east part of town, and as she was passing from one room to the other, she stumbled over a child’s rocking chair and fell, breaking her hip. Mrs. NEIL is 81 years of age and it is feared this accident may result in a serious one for her. She is quite a corpulent lady, and that has a tendency to be against to her. A remarkable feature about this accident is that when Mrs. NEIL’s mother was 81 years of age she met with a like accident.

- Monday morning about 4 o’clock the C. & E.I. had a small wreck a short distance south of the tower. A heavy freight train going north broke in two and come together causing five coal cars to be badly smashed up and tearing up considerable track. The wreck train was called out and it was several hours before the wreck was cleared. It happened by the side track and did not delay traffic a great deal. The coal was transferred into other cars and the demolished cars were burned. Fortunately no one was hurt.

- Monday evening Emmit HARGRAVES was slightly injured in a runaway. He was driving a team of young mules and was returning home from town when the accident happened. The buggy and harness were torn up considerable and Mr. HARGRAVES was very lucky to escape with only slight injuries.

- Wednesday morning the C. & E.I. had a wreck at St. James. The company has several gravel trains at work there and in some way they had a mix up. Traffic was delayed a good portion of the day and the south bound passenger train went to Salem via Flora over the B. & O. and the north bound passenger train went to Altamont from Salem over the same road. The wreck caused quite an inconvenience to many of our citizens who had to go to Salem to attend circuit court.

- The infant daughter of Mrs. Rolin WILSON died Sunday evening aged 6 months and was buried Monday afternoon. The funeral was held at the residence conducted by Rev. J.H. BALLANCE.

- Joseph ARMSTRONG died at the home of his sister, Mrs. John HEISTAND, in Alma twp., Monday at the age of 53 years. The funeral services were conducted by Elder GARDNER at the request of the deceased. In the past few weeks Mr. ARMSTRONG has suffered from several strokes of paralysis and it seems that death was a relief to him. The bereaved relatives have the sympathy of all.

- A Terrible Death: The Danville Democrat says: Passengers on the Vandalia cast bound fast mail were shocked beyond description just after leaving St. Elmo Sunday morning to see the headless body of a woman roll from a chair to the floor. The mail train does not stop at St. Elmo, going thru that village at about 50 to 65 miles an hour and as the train was late yesterday morning, the speed was above the latter. The woman, who appeared to be sleeping as the train pulled through the station, was awakened and seeing the lights of the town, put her head out of the car window. As she did so, she was struck by the mail crane between the east and west bound tracks and which held a pouch of mail for the west bound train. The mail sack was torn from the crane, the crane framework turned around and a ragged piece of iron is thought to have struck the woman in the neck. Her head was severed as obliquely as if by a sharp knife, her hat thrown a distance of several hundred feet, and her body, by impact, rolled off the car. Passengers pulled the bell cord and the mail train came to a stop and an investigation was made. C. & E.I. trainmen who reported the matter here, were unable to learn the name of the unfortunate passenger.

- Frank DAVIS and Miss Cora BARBEE, both of this city, were married in Salem wed by Justice T.W. WILLIAMS.

Oct. 13, 1904:

- Obituary: Dennis D. GIBBS, son of N.D. and C.L. GIBBS was born in Noble Co., Ohio, Sept. 2, 1842. At the age of 11 years he moved with his parents to Marion Co., Ill. On Sept. 23, 1866, he was married to Maggie A. FRENCH. In the fall of 1878, they moved to Kansas and soon took a homestead in Norton county where they have since resided. To this union was born four girls and three boys; of that number 3 have passed on before, leaving one girl and three boys with their mother to mourn his death which occurred Sept. 24, 1904 at 4:35 a.m. The above in brief is a summary of some of the important events in the life of one of the pioneers of Norton county. He had wrestled bravely, hopefully and continuously with the varying fortunes for the past 26 years, securing for his family a pleasant and valuable farm home well improved and free from encumbrance. The news of his death after a brief illness came as shock to a large circle of friends and acquaintances. He was laid to rest in the Clayton cemetery Sunday afternoon. An unusually large attendance at the final services being a testimony of their friendship and sympathy. Services were conducted by Rev. COWMAN of the M.E. Church. The Clayton (Kansas) News. (Mr. GIBBS was formerly a resident of this city and was a brother-in-law to C.B. FRENCH.)

- Visited by Burglars: Last Sunday night the hardware store of TOMLINSON & WOLFE was burglarized and about fifty dollars worth of revolvers and cutlery taken. The job was a very smooth one and showed that it was performed by parties who knew what they were doing. The burglars broke one of the glass in the upper sash of the back window and then unfastened the hook so the window could be raised and after this was done, it was an easy matter to get into the store. It seems that the burglars went straight to the show case containing the cutlery and revolvers, as nothing else was molested. Wednesday morning Sheriff SMITH telephoned from Salem that he had a man in custody that had been disposing of knives at the saloons, and in answer to the message, Mr. TOMLINSON went to Salem and identified the knives. The man arrested claims his name to be James DILLON, and says he got the knives from a boy at Odin Monday morning. He gave a description of the boy and he was seen here Saturday and Sunday by different parties. But where the boy is now is the question that remains unanswered. It is hoped that the guilty parties will be caught and given what they deserve.

- Tuesday night someone entered the C. & E.I. depot through the freight house and made an invoice of the company’s goods. The money drawer was broken open but nothing was taken. Mr. TREVILLION the agent, never leaves any money in the drawer at night and he says the only thing the intruders could have procured was St. Louis tickets, but he has missed none of them. It seems that burglars are getting quite numerous and the question is what can be done to stop them.

- Wm. HENSLEY of Northern Florida, is in this city visiting his brother, J.R. HENSLEY, and wife. Mr. HENSLEY left here 29 years ago and this is his first visit since he left. He finds a great many changes during that time and there are only a few people left that he remembers. Many have died and others have removed to other states.

- Dr. S.T. SONGER, wife and son of Ashland, Ore. are visiting in this city with his brother, A.W. SONGER and family and other relatives.

- Miss Anna CRAIG of Chicago was visiting in this city with her parents, Joseph CRAIG and family.

- Fred CRAIG sold his personal property at public sale yesterday and will leave in a few days for ____ynesville, Ill., where he will engage in farming.

- Mrs. Sarah E. MORKET and 3 sons of New Grand Chain, are visiting in this city with her sister, Mrs. J.T. SEXTON.

- Fun! We have returned to Kinmundy to remain an indefinite time with our Merry-Go-Round and are located on the lot north of G.L. EAGAN’s blacksmith shop. We invite your to come and spend a pleasant evening with us. We will be ready to receive you Saturday afternoon at 2 o’clock. CRAMER & REINBOLT, Props.

Oct. 20, 1904:

- J.G. CLOW and wife have returned home after a few days visit here with his parents, W.M. CLOW and wife.

- Dr. F.S. SONGER left Monday morning for Chester where he will remain a month and act as assistant surgeon in the penitentiary.

- Mrs. Alice BURLING, of Centralia, died last Thursday and the body was brought to this city Friday for burial, the services being held at the Catholic church. Mrs. BURLING formerly resided

in this city and was highly respected by everybody. She had been sick for several months and at the time of her death was 64 years of age. The services were largely attended and interment made in the Catholic cemetery.

- Mrs. WOOTKE, of St. Peter, died last Saturday and the funeral services were held in the Catholic church in this city Sunday morning at 11 o’clock and interment made in the Catholic cemetery. A large crowd of friends and neighbors attended the services.

- L.L. SOMERVILLE was born in Kinmundy, Ill., Oct. 16, 1858 and died at the home of Geo. KNISELEY in Omega Sunday Oct. 16, 1904, aged 46 years. His parents died when he was a small child after which he was taken into the home of Mr. and Mrs. G.W. KNISELEY, where he remained till he grew to manhood. He attended the Omega school and received a common education, and then he entered Vermillion Academy at Vermillion, Ill., and after completing his course there he commenced teaching and followed this profession for 17 years - six years of the time being spent at Champaign. He was a devoted Christian, being a member of the C.P. church at Arcola, Ill. He leaves a wife and three children to mourn his departure. Mr. SOMERVILLE has resided in Chicago for some time and a few weeks ago he went to Omega to visit the KNISELEY families and while there he was taken sick and was never able to return home. He was a member of the Tolono K. of P. lodge and seven representatives of Clipper lodge of this city attended the funeral services and paid the last tribute of respect to the departed brother. The funeral services were held in the Presbyterian church Monday morning conducted by Rev. J.S. McCLUNEY of Xenia and interment made in the Millican cemetery.

- Hezekiah ROCKHOLD was born in Ross county, Ohio, May 4, 1811. Before reaching his majority he went to Montgomery Co., Tenn., to work. There he met Miss Elizabeth WILKINSON, to whom he was married Feb. 12, 1832. They lived in Tenn. until Dec. 1847, when they came to Illinois and settled on what is now know as the "Rockhold homestead" in Meacham twp. four miles east of Kinmundy. In the summer of 1868, Mr. ROCKHOLD united with the Christian church at a point called "Union" over the edge of Clay Co. His wife died in Oct. 1865; of their 10 children, 7 girls and 3 boys, only 4 survive him, namely, Mrs. Rachel MARSLAND of Dexter, Kan., and Wesley ROCKHOLD, Mrs. Elizabeth MARTIN, and Mrs. Margaret R. LAWWILL of Kinmundy. Besides these 4 children, he also leaves 19 grandchildren, 35 great-grandchildren, and 5 great-great-grandchildren, besides a large circle of more distant relatives and a great company of friends, the older of whom have known him for 50 years or more. For the past 7 years he has made his home with his daughter, Mrs. LAWWILL, in this city, at which place he died on Monday morning, Oct. 17, 1904, at the age of 93 years, 5 months, and 13 days. Thus has passed from our midst perhaps the oldest settler of this community. What a wonder span was compassed by his life! What changes among men has he witnessed! Just to remind us of the length of his years and the changes wrought during his life, let us recall a few facts. When he was born there were no railroads. He was 18 years old when Stevenson’s locomotive came into _____. When he was born, Jas. MADISON was President, Thos. JEFFERSON was the greatest political leader and George WASHINGTON had been dead but 12 years. John C. CALHOUN and Henry CLAY were just beginning their great careers in the national capitol and Daniel WEBSTER, was as yet unknown to the world. The second war with Great Britain (War of 1812) had not been fought, our nation was in it’s infancy, and the entire population of this country did not exceed the present population of a single state and what is now the great state of Illinois, was part of a territory with vague boundaries and much of it a trackless wilderness. Mr. ROCKHOLD’s grandfather served in the Revolutionary war and his father was captain of dragoons in the War of 1812. When about 17 years of age, he enlisted in the Ohio State Guards and served two years. When he came to this community they lived in a log house in the primitive style of those early days. Deer, wolves and other wild animals were plentiful. Most of the farmers drove ox teams. What are now pleasant and fruitful fields that surround us and the site of thrifty towns, was then a vast stretch of unbroken prairie, with timber along the streams. The roads were mere winding trails through the tall prairie grass and neighbors were "few and far between". Salem was their nearest post office and they drove to St. Louis in wagons to market their produce and buy their groceries. In the great changes that have been wrought, Mr. R. did his full share. While carefully attending to personal matters he still found much time to devote to public affairs. Recognizing his sense of firmness and justice the people of this community kept him in the office of the Justice of the Peace for 16 years. He was a man of kind disposition cherishing no bitterness even against those he had befriended and who had betrayed his confidence. When conscious that he was nearing the end and being asked what message he had to leave, he answered "Good will to everybody, yes to everybody," and peacefully fell asleep. The funeral was held from the residence on Tuesday afternoon. A large congregation was in attendance including several from a distance. Rev. N.D. SWEENY of M.E. church conducted the services. The remains were laid to rest in the city cemetery. Beautiful floral offerings covered the grave.

- David WICKHAM has had his residence painted and repaired where it was damaged by the burning of Dad’s Tavern. Dave is very thankful for the good work of the citizens for saving his property.

- Gene PRUETT is the nimrod of Kinmundy. Early each morning he goes hunting and usually brings home a supply of fresh meat.

- Joe McLEAN and family of Ludlow, Ky. visited in this city last week with his brother, Harry McLEAN and wife.

- Mrs. F.D.P. SNELLING came from Chicago Monday morning and spent the day in this city. She left Tuesday morning for St. Louis accompanied by her sister, Miss Ida RUTHERFORD, where they will spend a few days visiting the fair.

- Fred HAGGART and wife of Delphos, Kan. are visiting near this city with their uncle, J.H. BALLANCE.

- Harry WATSON and Misses Mary and Caroline WATSON of Fairmont, W. Va. have returned home after a short visit here with their sister, Mrs. C.B. ROHRBOUGH.

- Mrs. Wm. HEMME of Danville, Cal., Mrs. Daniel R. TIMOTHY of Franklin Grove, and Mrs. Carrie JONES and son of Washington, D.C. visited here last week with their sister, Mrs. W.B. LLOYD. They had not seen each other for 18 years. The St. Louis Exposition makes it possible for many reunions.

Oct. 27, 1904:

- Kinmundy Boy Hurt: A clerk at the Oregon hotel, 1719 Market St., was struck on the head with a bar of iron, suffering a compound fracture of the skull. Hospital officials pronounce his condition critical. Frank J. WOOD, aged 23 years, the clerk in question, was seated in the hotel office, when he was approached by a man who had been stopping at the place for nearly two weeks under the name of Oliver KING of Chicago, Ill. KING, he states, treated to sandwiches and beer after which he announced his intentions of retiring. In a few minutes, WOODS asserts, KING returned to the office armed with the iron bar and without a word struck him on the head and knocked him down. Before WOODS could arise and the police notified, he was struck again and again until he lost consciousness. About this time another guest at the hotel entered the office and WOOD’s assailant beat a hasty retreat. WOODS was taken to the city hospital. KING was arrested later and ordered held to await the result of WOOD’s injuries. The police theory of the holdup is that KING intended to rob the cash drawer but was frightened away before he had time to secure it’s contents. WOOD made a statement yesterday afternoon to the police in which he named KING as his assailant. When the police searched KING’s room at the hotel, they found a bar of iron 18 inches long and weighing 5 lbs. With such a weapon Clerk WOOD was assaulted. - Monday’s Globe Democrat.

- Mrs. W.H. MORGAN left this morning for her home in Denver, Colo. after an extended visit in this city with her parents, C. ROHRBOUGH and family.

- Mrs. C.C. FENSTER and daughter, Zelma, left Tuesday for their home in Weleetka territory after a month’s visit with her relatives. She was accompanied as far as St. Louis by her mother, Mrs. Dora BRENNER.

- Mrs. J.B.F. MORGAN of Clarksburg, Ohio, and sister, Mrs. O.W. LOOFBURROW of Mt. Sterling, Ohio, are in this city, the guests of W.B. EAGAN and wife. Mrs. MORGAN acted as bridesmaid at the marriage of Mr. and Mrs. EAGAN 47 years ago. Their visit together at this time is a pleasant one!

- The 4-year-old daughter of N.B. PETERS of near Brubaker, died Tuesday.

- Fred MEYER, a prosperous German farmer residing near St. Paul died Monday, and was buried yesterday. The funeral was largely attended.

- Advertisement: Home at Last! We are now located in our new store room on 3rd street, near our old stand, where we are better prepared to serve our customers than ever, and invited the patronage of all. M.P. GRAMLEY.

-Advertisement: Fish Bros.’ Wagons are the kind we sell and every one of them is guaranteed. None made better. Buy one and you would have no other. The weak part is made strong and the strong part stronger. Come and see them. T.M. SMITH.

Nov. 3, 1904:

- Louis E. COLLINS Dead: The funeral of Louis E. COLLINS was held at the Cumberland Presbyterian church Monday afternoon under the auspices of the Federation of the Labor, Rev. N.D. SWEENY of the M.E. Church preached an appropriate sermon from the text: "Man dieth and passeth away; ye man giveth up the ghost and where is he." Job 14:14. Mr. COLLINS was born in Mason City, Ill. 36 years ago and has made his home with his mother in this city for several years. He served in Co. ___, 5th Regiment, U.S. Vol. Inft., in the war with Spain in 1898-99. He was by occupation a brakeman and worked in the I.C.R.R. for some time after coming here. The incidents of his remarkable conversion were told, he having ben baptized and received into the membership of the M.E. church about a week before his death. A select quartet sang several beautiful and appropriate songs. A large congregation was in attendance. The remains were laid to rest in the city cemetery with the ritual service of the order. We extend deep sympathy to the bereaved mother.

- James A. PERRY, one of the old settlers in this county, died at his home three miles east of this city Tuesday and was buried Wednesday afternoon. He had been sick for several weeks and died at the age of 82 years.

- Died at his home in Kiowa, Kans., Tuesday evening, Nov. 1st at 6 o’clock, Dr. L.D. SKILLING, who was formerly one of our most highly esteemed citizens. His many friends in this city fully sympathize with the bereaved family.

- Mose WAINSCOTT and Bob ROBB were exhibiting an eagle on our streets this morning that they had captured and it measured seven feet and six inches from the tip of one wing to the other. W.H. GRAY purchased the bird, consideration, three dollars.

- Frank GANO, the nine year old son of Mr. and Mrs. F.W. KING of WaKaney, Kan. died last Saturday, Oct. 29 at 2 p.m., of scarlet fever. GANO visited this city this summer with his grandma, Mrs. R.J. KING, and was a very bright, healthy boy and gave promises of making a useful citizen. Mr. and Mrs. KING have the heartfelt sympathy of all.

- Chas. NICHOLS loaded his household goods and farm machinery here Monday and moved to Pesotum, where he has rented a farm. Mr. NICHOLS was a good citizen and we are sorry to lose him.

- F.E. PERRY and family of St. Peter were here Wednesday attending the funeral of his father, J.A. PERRY.

- Ellis WAINSCOTT and Miss Jennie HUMPEREY, both of this city, were married in St. Louis Saturday.

- Miss Anna CRAIG has returned to Chicago after an extended visit in this city with her parents, Joseph CRAIG and wife.

Nov. 10, 1904:

- COMBS-CONNELLY: At the residence of J.S. HANKS occurred a very pretty home wedding last Wednesday evening, the contracting parties being Mr. Lee COMBS and Miss Maude CONNELLY, both of that neighborhood. Rev. O.E. LOCKART assisted by Rev. S.K. HOGAN of Patoka, officiated. After the ceremony a delightful repast was served. The bride and groom are highly respected in their neighborhood and all join in wishing them a happy and prosperous journey through life. Mr. COMBS has rented the Miles Parks farm near the Camp Ground church where they will make their home.

- Advertisement: Call at the Hummer. For your Dry Goods, Notions, Hosiery, Underwear, Comforts, Blankets, Gloves, Shoes, Toilet Soaps, and good, clean fresh Groceries. Our Prices are reasonable and the same to all. Remember, We are here to stay and will do our utmost to please and merit the confidence of the entire public, and receive a liberal share of your patronage. We are satisfied to allow each and every one to be their own judge as to the quality and prices of our goods will please you. WOOLLEY & RICE, Phone 110, Kinmundy.

- Advertisement: Give the boys a Chance: I have corn, oats, and hay to sell and I expect to have a full line of feed in soon. I have hay from 35 cents a bale up and will deliver it to any part of the city. Leave your order with me at my home. Yours for feed, J.L. BALLANCE.

- John McNEILL, a young man at Alma, met with quite a serious accident Tuesday. He, in company with Dr. S.L. LASWELL, was driving to Brubaker to vote and the team was scared at a thresher engine and started to run, and one of the horses commenced kicking. Mr. McNEILL jumped from the buggy, breaking both bones in one limb near the ankle. The Dr. remained in the buggy and was unhurt.

- L.C. MATTHEWS has purchased the W.C. INGRAM building and lot opposite EAGAN’s shop, consideration $1200. Mr. MATTHEWS expects to convert the building into an implement and store house, which will give him plenty room to display his goods.

- Miss Bessie KING left Monday for McKaney, Kans. to visit her brother, F.W. KING and wife.

- Stephen NEAVILLS and family of Merney, Neb. are visiting east of town with his mother, Mrs. Thos. NEAVILLS.

- Last Saturday afternoon, the T.J. McHATTON 40 acres three miles north of town, was sold at auction in front of the post office and was purchased by Jack SHEPARD, consideration $1010.

- Mr. and Mrs. LAMONT and daughter of Wayne Co., spent Sunday in this city with his son, Roy LAMONT and wife.

Nov. 17, 1904:

- A Model Young Man: Last Saturday morning, Burrell F. BRUCE, one of our prominent young men and former City Clerk, passed away at the home of his sister, Mrs. John W. HAWORTH. He had been in poor health for a year or more and his death while a great shock to the family, was not unexpected. The funeral services were held Sunday afternoon at the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. Beautiful floral offerings enclosed the platform and covered the casket. A select quartet composed of Mrs. F.O. GRISSOM, Miss Mattie PRUETT, W.W. NEIL, and C. ROHRBOUGH sang some of Burrell’s favorite songs. A guard of honor composed of Misses Elsie WHITSON, Lenore PORTER, Maude DAVIS, Maud DAVIS, Pauline BAGOTT, Pearl SEXTON, and Mrs. Roy FENSTER attended the casket. The pall bearers were Chas. WHITE, Clyde CAMERER, Chas. HOLBROOK, H.H. HOWELL, Chas. SWANDER and Alonzo FRENCH. A large congregation filled even all the standing room of the church. Rev. J.H. BALLANCE preached a very fitting sermon on the resurrection. Rev. N.D. SWEENY of the M.E. church to which he belonged, spoke of his prominent traits of character and lessons to be learned from his life. Rev. G.W. SCAWTHON also occupied a place on the platform. At the grave, the services of the M.W. of A., and K. of P. lodges were very impressively conducted. Burrell F., son of Jas. D. and Helen BRUCE, was born March 12, 1878 at Dix, and died Nov. 12, 1904, in this city, aged 26 years and 8 months. They came to Kinmundy in 1892 where they have since resided. Here Burrell grew to manhood, attending the public schools, from which he graduated in the spring of 1887. For a time, he worked in the drug store for F.J. NIRIDER, and was also a clerk in the post office. In 1899 he was elected City Clerk which office he filled acceptably and conscientiously for two years. His father died in Sept. 1900 after which Burrell turned his first attention to the support and comfort of his mother and younger brother and regarded it a pleasure and a privilege to toil for them. Among the young people he was always popular, though never bidding for popularity and openly rebuking pretensions of friendship and opposing practices that appeared to him to be wrong. There are those among his companions who regarded him as a model young man, never running to the wild excesses to which so many young men go. In all his work he was thorough and conscientious and won the confidence of his employers. As an instance of this, the company by whom he was last employed and which was here represented by Mr. H.N. HOWELL, continues his regular pay for months after his health had failed and he was no longer able to work. He was a member of the K. of P. and M.W. of A. lodges, and one of the greatest pleasures of his long illness was the fidelity of the members of these orders, and other friends. Their visit and tokens of affection were always received with emotions of deepest gratitude. Though his illness was long and painful and wore away all the strength and vitality of his young manhood still he would not complain, saying even to the last, "It might be worse than this." The secret of his content lay in the fact that he loved and trusted God. He was converted in the spring of 1896 in a revival meeting held by Bros. SCAWTHON and BALLANCE and united with the M.E. Church of which he remained a member till called to the "church triumphant; before the throne of God." For several years he was very active in the S.S. and Epworth League and was much interested in the work even after being deprived of the privilege of attending. To the pastor and other friends as well, he spoke very candidly of the future. Realizing he had faced death declared his readiness to go. On one occasion some time ago with a friend, he said he did not care for worldly goods more than that he and the rest of the family might be comfortable, but rather that it might be said that when he died, he had left an honorable record and had lived to bless mankind. Thus one of the brightest and best young men has passed away from our midst. His mother, brother, and sister and other sorrowing relatives and friends have the sympathy of all in this sad hour.

- Frank WOOD returned home from St. Louis Saturday night. He was injured by a hold-up man about a month ago and just left the hospital before coming home. He is getting along nicely and will be able to return to work in a few weeks.

- L.H. MAXON, one of the oldest residents of Farina, died last Saturday night, aged 88 years. The funeral was held Monday at the S.D.B. Church.

- H.P. SMITH, the Alma restaurant man, was looking after business here yesterday.

- Oran JACKSON, of Dailey, a former Kinmundy boy, has been elected Justice of the Peace and his home friends are glad to learn of his success. The county of Perry is not under township organization and the office there is a paying one.

Nov. 24, 1904:

- W.B. EAGAN: William B. EAGAN was born in what is now the city of Kinmundy Feb. 17, 1832, was reared on the old EAGAN homestead in the north part of the city of Kinmundy. He attended the public schools of the early days, also attended school in Salem where Judge BRYAN was principal. When quite a young man, he engaged in the mercantile business and was the first merchant in Kinmundy. He was married to Mary E. HAYMOND April 3, 1856. To this union, three children were born, all of whom have preceded their father to the spirit world. He professed faith in Christ and united with the C.P. church April 29, 1874 in which communion he lived a faithful and consistent member until Nov. 18, 1904, when he was transferred from the church militant to the church triumphant. For more than 25 years he stood at the head of Marion county Sunday School Association as it’s presiding officer and chairman of it’s executive committee, doing the work faithfully and in addition to this superintending two Sunday Schools part of the time. He was thoroughly devoted to the S.S. cause to which he gave his best service; no work too laborious, no sacrifice too great for the cause that lay nearest his heart. Being of a cheerful disposition he was always disposed to look on the bright side of things and was always ready to say a kind word or do a kind act. A man of great charity and generous disposition no worthy cause or worthy person applied to him in vain. He realized that the end was near and expressed himself as willing to depart and be at rest; his only regret being that his days of usefulness had passed. During his last hours he begged his friends to take him home. We trust he has realized this desire. It is not too much to say he has fought a good fight, has finished his course, has kept the faith, has gained the celestial city and beheld the king in his beauty. The funeral services were held from the C.P. church Sunday Nov. 20, conducted by Rev. J.H. BALLANCE, assisted by Rev. N.D. SWEENY. The obituary was read by D.C. BEAVER. Capt. C. ROHRBOUGH of this city, and Hon. T.E. MERRITT of Salem, made appropriate talks, after which the remains were followed to the city cemetery by immense procession, where he was laid to rest by the side of loved ones who had passed on before. The pall bearers were T.E. MERRITT, S.J. SMITH of Salem, and J.F. HOWELL, C. ROHRBOUGH, J.R. JONES, and D.A. PORTER of this city.

- Death of Frank E. HADDEN: After an illness of less than a week, Frank E. HADDEN, well known throughout Marion county, died at his home in this city, Tuesday, Nov. 22, at 7:10 p.m. An affliction of the stomach and bowels caused his death. Mr. HADDEN had been a resident of Kinmundy for 16 years past, having been connected with the Songer flower mill the entire time, in the capacity of engineer. He enjoyed a wide acquaintance and to know him was to be his friend. He was a loving husband and father and his chief pleasure was his family circle. Besides the sad loss sustained by his family, the community will mourn the loss of a substantial, industrious citizen. He leaves a widow, Mrs. Ellen HADDEN, two daughters, Mrs. Maggie MEDLEY and Mrs. J.N. BARNES, and three grandchildren; also an aged mother, Mrs. Eliza HUGGINS; a twin sister, Mrs. Charity HADDEN, a sister, Mrs. Mary MOODY; three half sisters, Mrs. Nathan HUFF, Mrs. Frank McGUIRE and Mrs. Robert SMITH; and two half brothers, Calvin MORRIS and Stephen E. HUGGINS. Mr. HADDEN was 57 years old to the day. The funeral services were conducted by Rev. SWEENY of the M.E. Church and Rev. LOCKART of the M.E. Church South, Thursday morning at the family residence. The remains were taken to Salem for interment. Rev. BECK of the Salem C.P. Church, conducted the services at the grave. The family of the deceased have the sympathy of all in their bereavement.

- Married: Mr. Leonard KNIGHTLINGER and Miss Anna THOMPSON were married at the home of the bride’s mother, Mrs. Elizabeth THOMPSON in this city at 6 p.m. Wednesday evening, Nov. 23d, 1904. The groom is one of Gibson City’s promising young men, a barber by trade. The bride is a well known young lady of our city, highly esteemed by her circle of friends. Mr. Roy KNIGHTLINGER and Miss Lulu ALLEN were groomman and bride’s maid. The ceremony was performed by the Rev. N.D. SWEENY, pastor of the M.E. church, of which the bride is a member. After the ceremony a bountiful wedding supper was served. The young couple left this morning for Gibson City, where they will reside.

- J.W. WHITTENBURG and Miss Rose LOVELL, both of this city, were married at the Broadway Hotel in Salem last Saturday evening. Mr. and Mrs. W.T. WILKINSON were the only witnesses to the ceremony. The groom is one of our most substantial farmers residing three miles southeast of town and the bride is one of Marion county’s successful schools and has been employed in the Centralia schools for several years. The newly wedded pair will reside on the farm of the groom.

- Advertisement: Too Full! Special Inducements; Reduced Prices on every piece of Furniture in the House! Overloaded on Mattresses Chairs and Iron Beds. Prices Busted on Wall Paper. Come and see me. W.W. NEIL.

- Mrs. Carrie BOLAND returned to her home in St. Louis Tuesday after spending a week in this city with her mother, Mrs. C.J. RYAN.

- G.W. SHRIVER and wife of Hiattville, Kan. arrived in this city Wednesday to spend a week or more with the SHRIVER families. Mr. SHRIVER left this place more than 21 years ago, and he now finds many changes since that time.

- Mrs. Sarah SAWYER of Iowa is visiting in this city with her parents, S. INGRAM and wife.

Dec. 1, 1904:

- KELLY-MILLER: Mr. Homer KELLEY and Miss Lulu MILLER were married at the residence of the bride’s parents, Theo. MILLER and wife, north of this city, last evening by Rev. J.H. BALLANCE. We are informed that they will make their future home in northern Illinois, where the groom owns a nice farm.

- Birthday Dinner: One of the most enjoyable occasions that has occurred in Meacham for some time was a surprise given Tuesday, Nov.22, in honor of Claiborn COCKRELL’s 59th birthday, at his home east of Kinmundy and was planned by his estimable wife. Early in the morning Mrs. C. suggested that he go to town to procure the groceries they were in great need of. But Claib did not fall in with the idea readily as he insisted that he must attend to the covering of the strawberry bed. After some persuasion he consented to his wife’s suggestion and started about 9:00 o’clock. ON the way he met several relatives and friends whose faces were wreathed in smiles, on his account, of course, among them were Elihu FISHER and wife, who reside northwest of Kinmundy. This put Mr. C. to thinking. He surmised that the above mentioned couple must be going to his house, so he told them to go right on and he would hurry home from town and visit with them. When he returned home about 11 o’clock he saw the barn lot full of horses, mules, buggies and wagons, and rushed in the house to learn the meaning of it. There he found the house full of relatives and friends, who had brought well filled baskets of provisions to eat dinner with him. Then it began to dawn upon him that his birthday was near at hand, so he tried to make the best of the situation and greeted his visitors with a friendly handshake. At 12 o’clock dinner was announced with consisted of chicken baked, and chicken fried, chicken smothered, and chicken pie(d), potatoes, salads, pickles, preserves, pies, cakes coffee and in fact every good dish that one would want. It was a dinner fit to set before a king, for it was prepared by some of the most excellent cooks the country can boast of. After all did ample justice to the dinner a good social time was enjoyed and some excellent music rendered, both vocal and instrumental. When the parting hour came, all wished their host and hostess many returns of the day and went to their respective homes feeling that the day had been well spent. There were present 65 persons, ranging in age from 3 months to 82 years. A comfortable rocking chair was presented Mr. COCKRELL as a reminder of the day.

Dec. 8, 1904:

- A Surprise: On Friday, Dec. 3, forty relatives and friends of Mr. and Mrs. John SHEPARD gathered at their home in honor of their fortieth wedding anniversary. Mr. and Mrs. SHEPARD knew nothing of their coming and when part of the guests had arrived, Mrs. S. hurried away to make arrangements for dinner, not knowing that the guests had brought well filled baskets. But as others arrived, the truth dawned upon them, and then for a short time all was merry. An excellent dinner was then prepared and served, after which the company gathered on the porch and had their pictures taken by C. MARQUARD. At a late hour the guests departed wishing many returns of the happy day. Those present were: E.G. FORD, C.W. HANNA, Geo. HARGRAVES, Chas. DISS, and H.L. HANNA and wives and Misses Ethyl GEORGE, Bell ABBOTT, Iva WARREN and Ray GEORGE.

- Fell From Scaffold: While assisting with the carpenter work on the new Baptist Church Tuesday afternoon, M.H. SEE met with a bad and probably fatal accident. He was on the scaffold nailing on ceiling and as he stooped to pick up a board, the one on which he was standing broke and he fell to the floor a distance of about 9 feet, striking on his head. He was picked up for dead, but Drs. CAMERER and MILLER soon arrived and it was found he was not dead. He was taken to Dr. CAMERER’s office where he remained a few hours when he was taken to the home of W.B. ROSS where he will remain till able to go home. It is thought by the doctors that he is badly injured internally and his injuries may prove fatal, but it is hoped by all that he will recover. Mr. SEE resides on a farm about three miles east of town and is one of our most esteemed citizens. (Late: Mr. SEE was taken to his home this morning and it is thought that he will recover.)

- Gray’s Opera House: In justice to W.H. GRAY, the owner of the magnificent new opera house just completed over the ruins caused by the disastrous fire of Dec. 2, 1903, we feel that the thanks of our entire community should be extended this enterprising citizen in a public manner. The new building is constructed of red pressed brick, two stories high, the opera house being on the second floor. The main entrance being a large stairway five feet wide from the front with an exit stairway in the rear. All doors open outward and the floor plan is arranged for comfort. The size of the building inside is 63 X 78 feet. The stage is 69 feet long and 28 feet deep - the stage opening being 23 feet. The premium wings are beautifully decorated with red, green and gilt; the pereenium arch of LinCrusta Walton tinted in modest dove color and traced with bronze. The auditorium is quite large and is seated with folding opera chairs. The walls are tinted with red and green water colors. The ceiling is arranged in nine panels being beautifully decorated in mahogany traced with dead black, bright green, and yellow. The electric system of lighting is complete and the switch board is under control of the operator on the stage. The entire building is heated by a furnace of the latest pattern and the ventilation is perfect. The comfort of the patrons seems to have been the main object in the arrangement of the house throughout. The stage is fitted with the latest style scenery; consisting of seven sets as follows: parlor, kitchen, landscape, garden, prison, and oriental, including street set cottage. This beautiful scenery was furnished by Toomey & Volney, of St. Louis, and was made expressly for this house and adds much to the beauty of the house. The stage also fitted with large and comfortable dressing rooms, also a large property room; also has a large freight door in the rear for handling baggage from the outside of the building. IT seems that nothing has been left undone in making the house a model in every respect. Too much cannot be said in praise of Mr. GRAY for his interest in our city by the erection of this elegant "Play House" for the entertainment and amusement of the public. This house is under the management of W.W. NEIL, who will assist Mr. GRAY in furnishing nothing but first class attractions for the season. Their motto is "If performance is not satisfactory, curtain remains down at close of first act." The opening date will be Dec. 24th with "Eli and Jane". This play is a true type of "Way Down East" seasoned with fun from first to the close. Mr. GREEN, the manager, guarantees sixty laughs in sixty minutes. The ticket sale is now open at Neil’s Store and from the indications "Eli and Jane" will play to a crowded house. The price of admission for the opening night is 50 cents for any seat in the house, but will be reserved free of charge. Le us all set aside this evening as one to celebrate the much needed surprise and thus encourage the owner by our presence. Secure your tickets now!

- Shoulder Bone Broken: Tuesday while hauling hay Clarence SCHOOLEY fell from the load, breaking his shoulder bone. His fall was caused by the boom pole breaking. He came to town and had the fracture reduced by Dr. J.D. CAMERER and is getting along nicely.

- Obituary: Calvin A. MORRIS, son of David and Eliza MORRIS, was born in Portage Co., Ohio, Feb. 16, 1840. He was raised at Omega, Ill., in the home of Alex MILLICAN. He united with the Cumberland Presbyterian Church at Omega and later transferred his membership to Iuka. He enlisted in the U.S. army July 25, 1861, and served in Company B, 40th Ill. Infantry Volunteers. His term of service expired Dec. 31, 1863. The following day he re-enlisted and served in the same Regiment and company till the close of the war, being honorably discharged July 24, 1865, at Louisville, Ky. For some years he has been in failing health but his last illness was very brief. He died at the home of his mother, Mrs. Eliza HUGGINS in Kinmundy, Ill., Dec. 4, 1904, aged 64 years, 9 months and 18 days. He leaves to mourn his demise an aged mother, five sisters, and one brother. Funeral services were held at the family residence Monday morning conducted by Rev. N.D. SWEENY, and the remains taken to Iuka for interment.

- Rev. N.D. SWEENY, of the M.E. Church, held communion services at the Pleasant Grove church on the Alma charge last Sunday. Rev. H.O. HISER is pastor there.

- The new I.O.O.F. Hall will be dedicated next Wednesday evening. An excellent program is being arranged, and a complete supper will be served. Everybody is invited to come and have a good time.

- Advertisement: The Best is the Cheapest! Your choice of the "Leaders" direct from the Factory to your home. Samples always "on sight" at TYNER’s Music House, Kinmundy, Illinois. Instruments kept in repair at your home. Over 1000 satisfied customers. Pianos! $100 to $1000 - Upright and Grand. Organs! $20 and up - new; $10 & Up - Seconds. A few good second hand Organs taken in exchange for Pianos - will sell at terms to suit. For "Anything in Music", call or write to O.N. TYNER.

- Advertisement: Oysters: Oysters. The Oyster season has opened and you can find the BEST Grades at my place any day in the week. My prices are the lowest - quality considered. We also carry a full line of choice Restaurant Goods and solicit a share of your trade. Don’t buy Xmas Candies till you see our line. SULLEN’s Restaurant.

Dec. 15, 1904:

- Justice FRENCH Killed: Last Sunday morning, our little city was ablaze with excitement when it was learned a man had been found dead on the I.C. tracks north of the depot. A greater portion of his clothing was found about five hundred feet north of the depot, and from that place north for almost three-fourths of a mile pieces of the body and blood were found. At the CRAIG crossing, the top of the head was found. None of the parts found were of such a nature to identify except the hand which wore a small band ring on the little finger. The clothing and this ring were identified as those Justice FRENCH. The remains were picked up in a box and placed in the freight house til the arrival of Coroner GEROULD of Centralia, when they were taken to the undertaking rooms of W.W. NEIL. About two o’clock a jury was empaneled and several witnesses examined and the evidence showed that Justice in company with Walter GEORGE, D.R. HASELDEN and Chas. WHITE went to Centralia Saturday night on a freight laving here about 10 o’clock. About 12:20 o’clock Messers HASELDEN and WHITE left the other two boys in Centralia and got on the train to come home. Afterwards the other boys decided to come home and got on the same train in a car near the engine. Upon their arrival here Walter GEORGE aroused Justice and tried to get him off the train, but Justice told him he was going to Effingham. As the train started Walter jumped off and left Justice standing in the door. How he got under the train is not known, but it is supposed that in trying to get off, he fell between the cars or after he got off stumbled and rolled under. How he got under will never be known. The accident happened about one o’clock and he was not found for over 6 hours. Several trains had passed over his body and that accounts for it being so badly mangled. The evidence before the jury showed no signs of foul play and it was only a sad accident caused by drink. This case should be a warning to his companions as well as all who are addicted in that way. Justice was a good boy, always at work was respected by all and drink was the worst feature of his life. It is hoped that his misfortune will prove a benefit to others who are affected in that line. The funeral services were held at the home of his father, C.B. FRENCH, Monday afternoon at 2 o’clock, conducted by Rev. N.D. SWEENY and under the auspices of the Carpenters Union of which the deceased was a member. At the time of his death, he was 21 years, 7 months, and 29 days old. The father, brothers and sisters have the entire sympathy of all in their sad hour.

- Obituary: Justice D. FRENCH, son of Charles B. and Alice FRENCH, was born in Kinmundy, Ill. on April 13, 1883. He has made his home in Kinmundy all of his life. His death occurred Sunday morning, Dec. 11, his age being 21 years, 7 months, and 20 days. He was a member of the Carpenters Union No. 1066. He leaves a father, three brothers, and two sisters to mourn his untimely death. The funeral services were held from the family residence, Monday afternoon at 2 o’clock, conducted by Rev. N.D. SWEENY, of the M.E. church. A select quartet rendered appropriate music. The Carpenters Union and the U.M.W. of A., and a large company of friends escorted the remains to the city cemetery, where the interment took place under the auspices of the Carpenters Union.

- Burglars Once More: Saturday night, the C. & E.I. depot and SONGER’s mill were burglarized. The burglars broke open the C. & E.I. tool house and procured their tools with which to do the work. At the depot they broke open the money drawer, but found it empty. They ransacked a grip in the office, but found nothing they wanted. It is thought they then went to Songer’s Mill where they gained admittance to the office. They found the safe unlocked and it’s contents sixteen of seventeen pennies which they took, but that is all Mr. SONGER has missed. They bursted open the money drawer, but it was also empty with the exception of a few postage stamps which the fellows left. The burglars will soon learn that our business men keep their money the banks and leave their safes unlocked to keep them from being blown or torn to pieces. A small safe is a good place to keep books in case of a fire, but it is a bad place to have money when a burglar is in the house. Most of our business houses have a safe, but not for money. The bank is the place for that and there is where it is kept.

- Joseph N. BASS and Miss Mary E. JONES, both of this city were married Sunday evening at the home of the bride, Rev. J.H. BALLANCE officiating.

- Rock BRASEL, of Kinmundy twp., and Miss Carrie LACEY, of Meacham, drove to Salem last Wednesday, and were united in marriage. They were accompanied by the bride’s brother, Ed LACEY and wife.

- Mrs. Homer HILL of Harrisburg is visiting in this city at the home of her mother, Mrs. C.J. RYAN.

- W.M. CLOW left this morning for Verden to visit his brother, Sandford CLOW, who is seriously ill and not expected to recover.

- Obituary: Harvey McClellan GRAHAM, son of S.D. and Rhoda E. GRAHAM, was born in Fayette county, Indiana, Aug. 23, 1871, and died at Brinkley, Ark. , where he was engaged in work, Dec. 12, 1904, aged 33 years, 3 months, and 19 days. He was united in marriage to Miss Maude M. EASTHAM of Kinmundy on Jan. 18, 1896, and lived near Alma and Patoka until Nov. 19, 1903, when he with his family moved to West Plains, Mo., where they still lived at the time of his death. To this union was born three little daughters, one of whom in infancy proceeded him to that Spiritual home beyond. He leaves a wife and two daughters, a mother, father, brother, and sister to mourn their loss. He was a devoted husband, a loving father, and a good neighbor.

- John W. TULL has sold his grocery store to Homer ARMSTRONG, who will continue business at the present location. Homer is a hustling young man and has employed Chas. SWANDER to assist him. Mr. SWANDER has a thorough knowledge of the grocery business and will make a valuable assistant.

- Chas. SWANDER has sold his bakery to Will ROSS who will continue the business. Will has been working at the trade for several months and thouroughly understands the business and will no doubt succeed.

- Advertisement: Christmas at M.A. SONGER’S! Everything is now ready! Everything is New! China and Glassware, Lamps, Handkerchiefs, Lady’s Wraps, Trimmed Hats.. Our Dolls hold the children spellbound. If they are home from school late, don’t blame them. They can’t leave our doll window. Prices are the Lowest. Come to M.A. SONGER before you buy. You will never regret it. P.S. We forgot to say that we have a fine line of furs. Goods are right, so are the prices. M.A. SONGER, Kinmundy.

- Advertisement: New Firm. Having purchased the Grocery Stock of J.W. TULL, will say we will be found in the old stand with a full and complete line of Groceries. We most respectively invite the public to call and examine our line of goods. Produce taken in exchange for goods. "Fair square dealing and goods at the right price," is our motto. I have also employed Charles E. SWANDER, an old and experienced grocer, who will be found behind my counter to meet you and to attend to your every want. Goods delivered to all parts of the city. Yours for business, H.M. ARMSTRONG. Phone 34.

- Advertisement: Come our store and we will sell you Christmas presents that a friend will appreciate. Buy a useful present or none. We are going to make you a little present ourselves. Beginning on Saturday, Dec. 17th, we will give each customer who purchases 50 cents worth of goods from us a guess at the number of grains of corn in a sealed glass can. The one guessing nearest will receive a handsome Silver Plated Baking Dish. Call at the store and learn particulars. We carry a full line of Hardware. See our cook ranges before buying. Wishing you a Merry Christmas and a Glad New Year, we are yours truly, PHILLIPS Bros., Kinmundy, Ill.

Dec. 22, 1904:

- Obituary: Jennie WIMMER was born in Miller Co., Mo., Dec. 18, 1874, and came to Illinois about the year 1884 and with her mother settled in Vandalia which was her home until March 30, 1897, when she was united in marriage with Isaiah CARMAN of this city, and since that time they have made their home in our midst. On Dec. 18, 1904, at 11:45 p.m., God in all wise providence called her home. She died in the triumph of a living faith. She leaves to mourn their loss a kind husband two little boys, age six and three years, four sisters, two brothers and a host of relatives and friends. She professed faith in Christ in 1894 at Shobonier and joined the M.E. Church and lived a faithful Christian until death. She was a constant sufferer for two years, but bore her afflictions with great patience and often expressed herself as being ready to go when God wanted to call her home. "Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord from henceforth; Yea, saith the Spirit, that they may rest from their labors, and their works do follow them." The funeral services were held from the M.E. church South Dec. 20, at 2:00 p.m. from the above Scripture text by Rev. O.E. LOCKART after which interment was made in Kinmundy cemetery.

- Maurice B. NELMS of this city and Miss Alma LASWELL of Farina were married last Sunday evening at six o’clock at the home of the bride’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. S.H. LASWELL in Farina the Rev. V.W. THRALL of the M.E. Church performing the ceremony. Mr. and Mrs. NELMS will make their home in this city, where he is employed in the general store of F.E. NELMS. Their many friends join in extending congratulations and all are glad to know they expect to make Kinmundy their home.

- Two Killed: Last Thursday, the sad news was received here of the death of Hall GRAHAM and Fred EAGAN at a logging camp in Arkansas. They were trying to catch a train when they were struck by another train. EAGAN was killed instantly and GRAHAM lived eight hours after the accident. Their bodies were taken to Brinkley, Ark., where they were buried. The fathers of the boys, S.D. GRAHAM of this city, and John EAGAN of Alma, and they decided they wanted them buried at home and the bodies were ______________________________ on the fast train. The funeral of GRAHAM was held in this city Monday morning, and that of EAGAN on Monday evening. Will GRAHAM of this city and J.R. FRENCH of Alma went to Brinkley an accompanied the remains home. The bereaved relatives have the sympathy of all.

- David E. RAY Dead: A telegram was received here yesterday by W.H. WHITE from Meridan, Miss., announcing the death of David E. RAY. Mr. Ray resided in this city a few months last year and is quite well known by all. Mr. and Mrs. WHITE left last evening for Meridan to attend the funeral. He was 30 years of age and died of pneumonia and had only been sick since last Friday. The bereaved wife, formerly Miss G.L. FR_ST of this city, and other relatives have the sympathy of all.

- Smallpox in Illinois: There were 225 cases of smallpox in Illinois during November, according to the report of the state board of health, with twelve counties being affected. There have been 25 deaths reported. (*)

- John R. FRENCH has plenty of coal at his mine west of Alma at $1.50 per ton at the mine.

- Prior to 1894, saloon keepers might become Knights of Pythias, but after the session of the grand lodge in Sept. of that year, men in the business were no longer admitted to membership. Those already in the order were required to discontinue the business. Not all, it appears, have obeyed the law. Four representatives from Chicago at the recent grand lodge were denied seats for this reason. Grand Chancellor WHITING, in a circular issued to Subordinate lodges, states that the grand lodge instructed him to prefer charges against every violator of the law, and that he is proceeding as directed. It may be a bitter experience, he says, to such as come under the ban, but the law must be obeyed.

- Frank BURNS and wife, who experienced a runaway two weeks ago have almost fully recovered. It was a lucky accident for these old people and it is a wonder they were not seriously injured.

- B.W. BLAKESLEE has gone to Sedalia, Mo. to spend the winter with his daughter, Mrs. H.R. FINKE.

- Mrs. Chas. COCKRELL of Knoxville, Tenn. returned home Tuesday evening after visiting here in this city with his father, D.E. FISHER and family.

- Advertisement: Ever Eat Meat? I wish to inform the public that I have purchased the Lamont Meat Market in the C. ROHRBOUGH building and will continue the business at the parent location. I will keep Fresh and Salt Meats of all kinds and solicit a share of your patronage. J.W. WHITTEMORE.

- Advertisement: Xmas Goods! Xmas Goods! Visit us before buying your Christmas presents. Our line this season is more complete than ever. You can find a suitable present for any member of the family in the following list: Dolls of all kinds, Toys of every description, Toilet Cases, Cuff and Collar Boxes, Work Boxes, Clothes, Hair and Tooth Brushes, Perfumery in any quantity, Cigar, Fancy Pipes, Books, Chinaware, Smoking Sets, Games, Albums, Music Rolls, Etc. A Useful Present For Everybody at NIRIDER’s Drug Store.

- Advertisement: Follow The Crowd to The Hummer where you find many useful articles for Christmas. A present is a reminder of friendship and is always appreciated by the receiver, regardless of value. Everybody who uses Teas and Coffees enjoy a good article, and we are making a special effort to secure the very best obtainable. Glance through our stock and see what we have. White Grapes, Candies, Nuts, Oranges, Lemons and everything Galore. We are well supplied with Vegetables for Christmas: Potatoes, Turnips, Jersey Sweet Potatoes, Parsnips, Onions, &c. Solicit your patronage assuring you we will do our utmost to give you the very best goods and values. Send in your orders early. Wishing one and all a Merry Christmas. WOOLLEY & RICE.

- Advertisement: ARMSTRONG’s Grocery is the place to buy Christmas Candies, nuts and fruits. Mongram Naval Oranges, per doz. 50 cents; Fancy Sweet Oranges, per doz. 20 cents; Messina Lemons, per doz. 20 cents; Jumbo Barrios Bananas, per doz. 20 cents; Extra Fancy Almeria Grapes, per lb. 15 cents; Yellow Jersey Sweet Potatoes per lb. 4 cents; Home Grown pop corn, per lb 2½ cents; Figs, per package 10 cents; Cape Cod Cranberries, per qt. 10 cents; Fancy Baldwin Apples, per pk. 35 cents; San Bias Cocoanuts, each 8 cents; Home Grown Celery, per bunch 5 cents; Anything in the Grocery Line. Fair Square dealing, and Good Goods at Right prices, is our motto. Prompt delivery to all parts of city. Thanking you for your liberal patronage and wishing you a merry Christmas. I am yours for business. H.M. ARMSTRONG. Phone 34.

- Advertisement: The Christmas Bells: Ring out the message - the holly leaves whisper it and Santa Claus shouts it - Go to KILLIE’s for your wants in the Grocery line. Here you will find the sterling qualities you desire; here you will find prices to make glad the pocket book; here you will find a clean, new and up-to-date stock, prompt, courteous treatment and complete satisfaction. The Christmas Dinner will be better if you select from our stock of goodies. See for yourself and decide. Everything in Canned and Bottled Goods, Fruits, Vegetables, and Fish. Try Jello Ice Cream Powder in making our cream for Christmas. Nabiscos in holiday package, Holly Wreaths and Mistletoe. Talk with us by phone, better yet, call personally. Phone KILLIE, the Grocer - 133.

- Advertisement: PULLIAM’s Grocery is headquarters for Xmas Candies Fruits, Nuts, &c. We want your orders.

- Advertisement: Sweetness! WE have the finest line of Christmas Candies and Fruits in Kinmundy, and solicit a share of your holiday trade. Fresh Oysters every day at SULLENS’.

Dec. 29, 1904:

- LAUGHLIN-LAWSON: Mr. William Henry LAUGHLIN and Miss Ruby Florence LAWSON were married at the home of the bride’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. R.F. LAWSON in Effingham yesterday.

- GOOD-WILSON: Stephen A. GOOD of Neoga, and Miss Stella WILSON of this city, were married last Sunday evening at 6 o’clock at the parsonage of the M.E. church South, Rev. O.E. LOCKART officiating.

- BARROW-KINNEAR: Mr. Fredrick A. BARROW of this city, and Miss Maud H. KINNEAR of Diamond Lake, Ill., were married Monday, Dec. 19, at 6:20 p.m. at 250 LaSalle Ave., Chicago, the Rev. W.S. JACKOBY officiating.

- Mrs. Fannie SIMPSON went to Effingham yesterday to attend the wedding of her niece, Miss Ruby LAWSON.

- WITWER-MAHAN: Mr. Charles W. WITWER, one of the leading young real estate men of this city, and Miss Nellie MAHAN, one of Kinmundy’s most popular school teachers, were married by G.W. SCAWTHON at his residence last evening at 7:30 o’clock. Mr. and Mrs. WITWER expect to reside in the BRADLEY property for a few months when they expect to erect a nice house in this city. Their many friends extend congratulations.

- Alma Express: Mrs. H.F. McCARTY, Misses Etta and Elsie MAULDING drove to Cartter Sunday to attend the wedding of their brother, T.E. MAULDING of East St. Louis to Miss Nellie WHAM.

- Alma Express: Wm. FORD of Enfield is visiting relatives at this place.

- Alma Express: Robt. CHANCE and wife are parents of a fine boy, born Friday.

- The new fire bell has been placed in position on the public square.

- The C.& E.I. had a wreck near St. James Tuesday evening and 12 cars of coal were ditched and torn to pieces. The wreck train and section men worked all night clearing the track and traffic was delayed about 18 hours. Fortunately no one was hurt, but the loss will be quite heavy.

- The fire alarm was sounded Tuesday evening about 5:30 during the strong wind storm and it was announced that Dr. MILLER’s residence was on fire, but it was a mistake. The flue at the residence of Lawrence CHRIS was only burning out and it excited the people of that part of town. A fire during such a wind would have been uncontrollable and our people who responded to the call were glad it was not a fire.

- Eli and Jane appeared at Gray’s opera house Saturday night as advertised and the house was well filled considering the bad weather and the date. The play was somewhat disappointing to some, although it was very good and kept the crowd in laughter most of the time. Mr. GRAY paid this company $185 for the opening date and the performance should have been better for the price.

- Farina Express: Chas. W. MAXON left Sunday night for Walworth, Wis. to attend the funeral of his brother, Elisha P. MAXON who died of consumption.

- Ira MARSH of Kansas is visiting old friends here after an absence of 25 years.

- Mrs. Pearl MARSH THOMPSON of Sullivan, Ind. is spending the week here with her parents, Jas. MARSH and wife.

- Floyd HERRICK is afflicted with typhoid fever at the home of his grandparents, John EAGAN and wife.

- Advertisement: J.L. LASWELL. Resident Dentist. Crown and Bridgework.

- Advertisement: You can always wear a smile by trading at F.J. NIRIDER’s Drug Store.

- Advertisement: Ever Eat Meat? I wish to inform the public that I have purchased the Lamont Meat Market in the C. ROHRBOUGH building and will continue the business at the present location. I will keep Fresh and Salt Meats of all kinds and solicit a share of your patronage. J.W. WHITTEMORE.

- Advertisement: New Year Greeting! To our friends and patrons we wish to expend a happy and prosperous new year. We invite you to begin the new right by giving us a liberal share of your patronage and by so doing you will find at the end of the year that you have saved dollars. Fresh Groceries, Fruits, Vegetables, Nuts, and Eatables of all kinds. Visit Us! H.M. ARMSTRONG, Phone 34.

- Advertisement: Haymond State Bank, Capital Stock Paid in $25,000.00. Surplus $7,500. All business given prompt attention. Elder Corner, Kinmundy, Ill.

- Advertisement: Jacob NELSON. The Jeweler. Is now permanently located in the west room of the Elder block where will be found a complete line of Watches, Clock, Jewelry and Spectacles. Also Sewing Machines, Repairs, Oils, Needles &c. Repair work a specialty.


Please note!!! The articles on this web site were originally reported in weekly editions of "The Kinmundy Express" (also known at one time as "The Marion County Express") which are now located on microfilm at the Illinois Historical Library in the Microfilm Depository in Springfield, Illinois. Please note that the gleanings listed within this compilation do NOT represent entire articles in most cases, but instead, general and summarized information with special interest being focused upon data which is significant to genealogical research.

Compiled, transcribed, and printed by Dolores Ford Mobley. (February 2003) Questions, comments, suggestions should be directed to the e-mail address below.    Permission to copy,  is requested.


line1.gif (286 bytes)

Home Home         "Gleanings" Home       Dolores' Family Tree  

line1.gif (286 bytes)

Updated: 09/01/11                               mailbox.gif (1210 bytes) Comments?