Season Record: 76-86 Standing: 5th
Attendance: 2,892,629 Manager: Whitey Herzog
Opening day Lineup: (Cincinnati: 5, St.Louis: 4, Away, April 4th)
LF – Vince Coleman
SS - Ozzie Smith
2B - Tom Herr
1B - Bob Horner
CF - Willie McGee
3B - Terry Pendleton
C - Tony Pena
RF – Jim Lindeman
P – Joe Magrane
All Stars: (All-Star game summary)
Vince Coleman Willie McGee Todd Worrell
Terry Pendleton Player of the Week - May 15th Pedro Guerrero Player of the Week - Aug 28th
Gold Glove Winners: League Leaders:
Joe Magrane – ERA (2.18)
Vince Coleman – SBs (81)
Games I attended this season:
Date Game # Opponent Score Seat Price 4/9 2 Pirates 3-0 W Loge Reserved $8.00 4/10 3 Pirates 5-3 L Loge Reserved $8.00 7/5 Dodgers 6-3 L In Los Angeles $6.00 7/6 Dodgers 7-3 L In Los Angeles $6.00 7/23 48 Giants 6-5 L Terrace Reserved $8.00 9/25 81 Mets 9-7 L Terrace Reserved $8.00
- 1,000 new seats were added as well as 10 new luxury suites. Most of the 1,000 new seats are added by two "pie" shaped wedges over the wagon gates.
- On April 22nd, second baseman Tommy Herr is traded to the Minnesota Twins for Tom Brunansky.
- On May 14th, Jose Oquendo becomes the first position player to earn a pitching decision in 20 years in a 7-5, 19 inning loss to the Atlanta Braces. Oquendo gave up two runs on four hits. Oquendo manages to shut out the Braves for three innings before giving up two runs in the nineteenth and suffering the loss. It's the first decision by a non-pitcher in the major leagues in twenty years. He was the 8th pitcher used by the Cards in the game. (This is also the longest game in Busch Stadium II history.)
- Jose also becomes the first NL player since 1918 to play all nine positions in a season.
- The Cards were never a factor this year and traded, Tom Herr, Bob Forsch, and John Tudor.
- Todd Worrell becomes the first Cardinals' reliever to save 30 or more game in three straight seasons. (86,87,88)
– Jose DeLeon was the first Cardinal since 1972 to record 200 strikeouts, Todd Worrell posted his third straight 30 save season and Joe Magrane won the ERA title (2.18).
- On August 28th, Bob Forsch won his 163rd and final game in a Cardinals' uniform.
- Former Cardinal Keith Hernandez played himself in a Sesame Street special.
The Cardinals lost both games we saw (7/5 & 7/6)
Click to read full article!
1988 Team Info.(from Baseball-Reference.com) 1988 League Stats (from Baseball-Reference.com)
(Tell me your highlights from 1988!)
NL Championship: Dodgers over Mets (4-1) World Series: Dodgers over A’s (4-1)
(This site is in no way affiliated or sponsored by the St. Louis Cardinals or Major League Baseball and is intended to be used for non-commercial, personal enjoyment. Although I attempt to be as correct/accurate as possible when giving information in these documents, I make no guarantees as to their accuracy. Questions/comments may be sent to the address below. Mark Mobley (1999-2020) all rights reserved. All photos and/or images may be copyrighted by their original owners/sources.)
Do you have St. Louis Cardinal collectibles or memorabilia sitting around collecting dust? Why not send me an e-mail describing what you have? I might make you an offer!
I collect anything having to do with the Cardinals. My e-mail is listed below! Thanks!
Cardinal (or Baseball) Trips:
Great Ballpark Adventures!
Cardinal Caravans: 1990 1998 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012
(No pics: 1991 1992 1993 1994)
Winter Warm-ups: 2007 2010
Lou | Bob | Mark | Willie | Ozzie
1982 | 1985 | 1987 | 1996 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2009 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2015 | 2019
Home | Dolores' Family Tree | Gleanings from the Kinmundy Express | Mark's Family Tree | Other Useful Links | Other Genealogy Sites | Cardinal Tribute Site
Updated: 01/18/20 Comments? Cardsfan@ford-mobley.com